Hilo Orchid Farm, Hawaii
- Ordering and Shipping
- Plant Care
- Contact Us
- Privacy Statement
Unpacking Your Orchids
1. Place box(es) right side up and cut the straps and tape sealing the box.
2. Remove box cover, then remove packing material such as shredded newspaper and cotton packing material above first layer of plants.
3. Use a sharp edge to cut the packing tape that secure the plants together and to the box. Alternatively the tape may be lifted and removed from the plants.
4. Gently lift plants out of the box, one at a time, using one hand to support the pot and the other to hold the balance of the plant.
5. Remove the packing material surrounding the individual plants by cutting the rubber band and the plastic sleeve at the bottom, then removing the plastic sleeve from bottom to top.
6. Place plants in pot holder, tray, or heavy clay pots to keep them from tipping over. (Remember to allow adequate space between the plants, as the plants and flowers need room to stretch and fresh air to move through.)
Spiking and Flowering Plant Care
Optimal lighting is between 1,000 - 2,500 foot-candles.
Optimal temperature is between 60-80°F.
Using fresh water (tap is fine), above 55°F, gently flush through the medium allowing enough water and time to wet the medium throughly a few times a week. Frequency will depend on the conditions of your greenhouses. Our plants DO NOT like to be dried out completely in between waterings. The medium in our pots will provide enough nutrients to last until the flowers finish so fertilizing is optional. For optimal results, feed using a liquid fertilizer at 1/4 recommended rates once a week.
After Flowering Care
For best results plants should receive between 2,000 - 3,000 foot-candles with temperatures between 50-85°F and at least a 15-20° difference between day and night to initiate flower spikes.
Repotting may be necessary.
Feed using a liquid fertilizer at 1/2 the recommended rate at least once a week.
Any questions or concerns regarding the care of your orchids upon receiving them, please feel free to contact us using the information on the "Contact Us" page.